Does your gymnast have ADHD and struggle with nutrition? If so, you’re not alone.
A lot of gymnasts are already underfueled or have low-energy availability. Those with ADHD who are on medications that lower the appetite are at risk of what’s called RED-S or underfueling.
Nutrition is essential for gymnasts to grow, develop, learn, and perform well. Many gymnasts with ADHD struggle to get enough nutrition due to medication side effects, busy school and training schedules, and often picky eating thrown in the mix.
Fueling the gymnast with ADHD and navigating appetite-suppressing medications is a challenge. Listen in to hear how to ensure your gymnast is getting the proper fueling they need.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- What is the appetite medication cycle and how its effecting fueling your gymnast
- The challenges and struggles of being on medication and being a high-level gymnast
- Specific deficiencies to be aware of with ADHD and why you should always “test and not guess”
Links & Resources
- Blog: Gymnasts and ADHD: What you must know about nutrition
- The Balanced Gymnast Program for level 5-10 female gymnasts
- Connect with Christina on Instagram @the.gymnast.nutritionist
- Private 1:1 Nutrition Coaching for High-Level Gymnasts